Click here for a print friendly version of this article
Dogs feeding in raised bowls give them these four important benefits:
1. It promotes better posture. Dogs have postures to protect too, especially the older ones. Eating without the need to lean forward and down is essential to keep the dog's bones frame structure in tiptop condition even as they age.
2. It promotes better digestion. If dogs eat on a raised food bowl, the process of digestion is going to be smoother. The food will move from the mouth into their stomach in a much quicker and easier manner. With that, you are sure that the food will be transformed faster into energy for your pets to use.
3. It reduces stress on your pet's forearm and wrist area. The forearm and the wrist area are the dog's Pasterns. If the dog do not need to lean down all the time, the tension on its front limbs are lessened, making it abler for some other productive activities.
4. The same goes for the shoulder and hip areas as well. The same principle can be applied to your pet's other body part, such as the hips and shoulders. Raise dog feeders can surely improve your dog's muscular frame, too.
In buying raised dog feeders, here are some things you should consider:
1. The dog feeder's height. It is believed that the perfect height for feeders is six inches below the dog's front shoulder. If your dog is relatively small and six inches seem to be too low for it, four inches should do.
2. The dog feeder's capacity. This is needed just to be sure that you feed your dog in one go. You can try to measure his current food bowl. Fill it with water and see how much your dog can consume. Currently available raised feeder bowls ranges from 2 to 16 cups in volume.
3. The material the dog feeder is made of. For this point alone, there are many points to consider. The ideal feeder is lightweight and is rot resistant. It should also have low thermal conductivity, which is ideal for times you have to serve oven-fresh food to your dog. It should also be easy to clean and comes in good colors and textures that can easily be repainted, if needed be.
4. The made of the raised dog feeder. These bowls comes with the respective stands. Make sure that the construction is superb. Some manufacturers add a cross bar for further support. Some are made of good quality metal or hardwearing plastic. The material used is going to be the determinant whether the one you are buying is durable or not.
5. The functionality of the bowl feeder. Raised dog feeders can come in a single to three-bowl feeders. Two-bowl feeders are ideal if you have two pets or if you rather serve food and water at the same time. Some are made especially for big dogs, while some can be customized according to your needs. Whichever the case, try to make sure that the one you are going to buy best matches the requirements of your pets.
6. The actual cost of the dog feeder. The prices vary so much, according to the capacity, the height, and the number of bowls present. Customized raised dog feeders can cost higher than usual. The price can range from $30 to as much as $200. Just make sure that the price you are going to pay is reasonable for the value that you are going to get.
7. The availability of the product. There are products that can readily be shipped, especially the ones offered through the Internet. Some can be bought at regular pet stores. Well, it really doesn't matter where you buy. What matters more is the thought that your dog can take advantage of the raised feeder in no time.
These are the things that you should know about raised dog feeders. With these sets of information presented to you, you should now have a good idea why and how you should have it. Why not give him the raised one as a reward for his good deeds?